Saturday, February 4, 2012

Greg's Weekend at Home



With Lacey and Rory in Austin this weekend for a baby shower and a birthday, I thought I would hi-jack the blog and share my bachelor weekend here in Fort Worth. I had to stay behind for work this weekend, but even with work I had some time on my hands. I fully expected to come home and find a "Honey Do List" however, I was wrong, the counter top was empty, a list I did not see. What was a guy to do to pass the time and get me to the Superbowl on Sunday. So here it goes, a day by day literary journey through my solo weekend leading up to one of the best sporting events of the year...the Super Bowl.






Layla "the wonder pup" running the trails at Knob Hill





Day One





Saturday morning I finished up at the golf course and took Layla "the wonder pup" for a run at my local trail on the northwest side of Lake Grapevine. I have been wanting to get a bike ride in but with Friday's rain the trails were closed to bike traffic so I took advantage and went for a long run. I got home that afternoon to an awkwardly silent and empty house. I am used to my little chica greeting me with a big smile at the window when I open the garage and pull into the drive. I became sad and started right then to miss my girls. Toby didn't even get off the couch to say hello when I walked through the door. It quickly set in, it was going to be a quiet weekend at the hacienda for ol' dad.







I went for the kitchen to put together my specialty...a sandwich! I added a side of salt and vinegar chips and a glass of water. I made my way to the living room to watch some golf at TPC Scottsdale and caught the end of the Vandy vs. Florida game before golf tournament coverage started..." oh nice, score a little round ball before golf " I said out loud to the Tobes! He stared at me oddly and put his head back down on the couch. I enjoyed my Turkey sandwich and took in some golf before going out to give Layla a bath. As I referenced earlier in this weekend chronicle there was some rain on Friday, which equals muddy and wet trails, thus equals muddy and wet dog. "The wonder pup" was now clean and I had an urge to clean and organize the garage. I swept, rinsed my duck waders, stored my duck hunting gear for the year, and re-organized my work bench. Already I was bored and needed something to do. I knew in the back of my mind that cleaning the garage was the last thing Lacey would have me do, so I finished up and went inside and created a "What would my honey want me to do List. Change light bulbs, laundry, and clean the house, this was all I really could come up with. As I wrote this list the ESPN ring tone went off on my phone reminding me that the Ags were playing, so the list got put on hold for a few hours.




One of many laundry piles




I got started with some laundry and started to add some things in my mind to the to do list for the weekend. I changed out dead batteries on some of Rory's bath toys and took care of few other little tasks, this included putting away some Christmas ornaments that were left in our office to this day.





Changing out some batteries on Rory's toys



As I waited on a load of laundry I decided to enjoy some television viewing. I had a few hours of Alaska: The Last Frontier (my new favorite show) I needed to catch up on. As I was taking in the Last Frontier I thought a picture taken of Lacey's house shoe Uggs I was wearing would be funny. I took the picture and this is where the idea of me taking random pictures (showing off my crazy good iPhone photog skillz) and taking over the blog for the weekend was a good idea. Side note, I am wearing Lacey's Uggs in honor of Tom Brady, the spokesperson for Ugg's for men. The Pats by the way are my pick for the big game tomorrow night. Any way back on track, not sure if I mentioned it but Alaska: The Last Frontier is my current Discovery Channel obsession. It was formerly Flying Wild Alaska, I had a few of those recorded as well so I took advantage. Laundry is really the only thing on my "To Do" list that I can multi-task and watch some shows as well.




Lacey's house shoe Uggs, in Tom Brady I trust.





Dishes, done!


For dinner I enjoyed a supreme pizza and a Real Ale Lost Gold IPA, very tasty. As I sat at the table alone and partook, I felt like Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone having a Mac and cheese dinner at the table before the robbers made their way into his house on Christmas eve. Most things I do make me think of movie scenes where I am doing something similar or also Seinfeld episodes. That and I can quote movies or shows like crazy, to this day I wish I could use this talent to do some good, but I haven't figured that out yet. Don't know why this is, but it is. Perhaps I watch too many movies or TV, either way, just a little insight on me and how weird I can be (and what Lacey has to deal with on a day to day basis).


It's not delivery



I got some laundry done, caught up on some recordings on the digital video recorder, had some dinner, a couple of IPA's, put the dishes in the dishwasher, and even took in the second half of the Kansas vs. Mizzou "Border War" game. All in all a pretty productive day. Look for Day 2 happenings to see how I pass the time waiting for my girls to come home. I can't wait until Monday afternoon to see my beautiful wife and "my little sweets" Rory. I miss you guys and it just isn't the same around here without you. Love you and miss you, good night.
























3 comments: