Monday, October 5, 2009

Elevated AFP

I was hesitant to write this blog, but when I started this I promised myself I would be open and honest. Last Thursday I got a call from Dr. Vaughan's nurse. The first thing she said was, "I hate making this call because it is usually nothing, BUT your blood test for spina bifida came back elevated and it is something to be concerned about." She told me to make an appointment with a perinatal doctor at Baylor Grapevine where Rory will be delivered. I hung up the phone called and made the appointment. I was a little shocked and it didn't hit me until the receptionist said, "You and your husband will meet with a counselor before your appointment." I was devastated. I called Greg and told him. We really had know idea what any of this means. So I called my dad who called his good friend Dr. Kuhlman. He then called me back and said that this test has a lot of false positives etc. and told us not to worry until we have our appointment. Which is next Thursday. That is right 2 weeks of waiting. We are staying positive and i am giving Miss Rory little pep talks. We are hoping and praying for the best. We already love our daughter more then words can say and if Rory were to be born with special needs then that is what God had planned for us and she is and will be our precious Godsend.

I don't want anyone to worry. I just wrote this entry in case anyone has a similar story to this and can offer us some encouraging words. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Thanks for sharing the info so I know how to pray for all of you, especially precious Rory. God is knitting her together and she will be perfect. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete